SPRCLLDR

I started exploring the sound synthesis. The tool I am working with is called SuperCollider. It is freely obtainable. To work and play with it I begun learning the programming language it uses. Am happy about it since I have been planning to start learning a new language. And this is a completely new one!!!

SuperCollider


After downloading the PsyCollider (an instance of SuperCollider which can be run under XP) I commenced with the tutorial files.(Am planning to use it under Linux in the future though...).

At the moment I am getting around the usage of a proper syntax. What I like about it is that the program will not produce any outcome (here I am looking for sound) that I haven't intended for (although in more complex examples shear chaos (shear chaos!!! what a great title for an album...) can be obtained...depends what the intentions of the user are...).
It is like using a computer as a musical instrument. An instrument that I create
myself (by shaping the code that is to be compiled by the computer). What I also
like is that I am very limited with it's usage at the moment. In other words there
are some limits I have to explore first before I will be able to move on, to
transpass? transcend them. It is quite different experience in comparison to using
ready available programmes without knowing their limits, and not having clearly
defined idea what you would like to get (I would call it blind-using).

I think that starting from simplicity, gradually applying new ideas, will give me
good insights into my creations, and at the same time it will be more consciouss
process. And what is important for me the process will stem from the idea, the
realised effect that I would like to achive, rather than be a total improvisation
and "fishing the interesting things out".
I think that this is a pivotal shift in the way I create.

One thing that started me thinkin was the difference between substractive and
additive synthesis. Two totally different approaches. In the first one you start
with a defined source (the one I've been playing with is WhiteNoise.ar) and then
you shape it by removal of specified regions/areas/frequencies of sound field. It
is like making a sculpture out of wood or stone (or any other material), or like
changing the flow of water by application of different barriers, pipes etc.
The second approach, the additive one I would define as sound puzzle, in which you
take small pieces of sound to create a bigger picture/s.
I think that in pure form this are two extreme apporoaches and there are other inbetween. SupperCollider allows the user to decide which approach suits
him/her most.
This is the feature I like about it the most. That I have to make a decision what
do I want to create. And how do I want to create it.
The usage of the programme forces me to discover and learn more about the sound.
About different ways of "looking at sound".

These are adventures in the dimensions of sound!!!Discovering the limits of my own
creativity!!!Experiments!!!

No comments: