TH SH NT CRV FR N THNK

After noticing the possibility of renting a bicycle from Kronika, I decided that I am going to commute this way to and from work. I have to add here that I quite often finish after nine p.m., so a design situation emerged: 'Where to leave a bicycle for a night'.
(I live in Mikołów and everyday I travel from Mikołów to Katowice and from Katowice to Bytom, where I have to catch a bus to my workplace. I wanted to change the last stage of my journey.)

At the moment there are a few places in Bytom where you could legally leave your bike. After asking policemen about the places in the city center where I could do that I was told that there are "bike stops" near all the shop centers because there is the rule that guarantees access to those facilities for the cyclists.

I decided to make a happening, which I titled:


THOU SHALL NOT CRAVE FOR ANY THINK

In catholic church 10th Commandment states 'Nie pożądaj żadnej rzeczy bliźniego swego' what in direct translation means 'You shall not crave for any thing'.
I decided that I am going to leave a bike that I rent from Kronika (with nice MADE IN BYTOM overprint, Kronika's logo and number 10) near the supermarket, fastened to one of those "bike stops", in a space unknown to me before, for a night.

Many people find Bytom as 'materially unsafe place'.
I want to find out how free of possessiveness Bytom's citizens are. What is the material culture of the city?
At the same time it is a great challenge for me myslef. How to overcome the fear of losing the material object (if now I am afraid of loss of a bike would I be afraid to leave a car in an unknown place for a night?).
I want to observe the relations between owner/user and the tool in context of fear of loss.

I already have some strategies what would I do if I lost the bike:
1. cry
2. nothing
3. re-pay to the gallery (however the bike has become a work of art now...)
4. place an advertisment in a newspaper that the bike had been lost and honest finder was asked to return it to gallery (as I wrote before it is quite characteristic bike...)


Tomorrow I am going to make a photo of the bicycle and the space (which now is going to be known and defined for me through it's interaction with this object).


All this is happening without the original owners of the bike knowing about it (the information that I would have to re-pay for a loss of bike, should it ocurr, had been conveyed to me).

No comments: